Whilst this warm salad of spinach, white beans & parmesan recipe is unlikely to trend on Twitter or set the food world alight. It is simply too good not to share. Why? Because it’s so incredibly versatile. As a stand alone quick healthy lunch it will leave you feeling lifted. As an accompaniment it will delight served with fish, poultry or red meat. You can even have it with a poached egg for breakfast.
The recipe below is for the salad in it’s purest form, but some pancetta would be a welcome addition. How about chorizo? Go on then!
Warm salad of white beans, spinach & parmesan
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 as a main. 2/3 as a side.
- 400 g tin (240 g drained) cannellini beans
- 150 g spinach (obvious stalks removed, washed & drained)
- Handfull parmesan shavings
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt
- pepper (freshly cracked)
- Heat a small saucepan over a medium high heat
- Add the garlic, immediately followed by the spinach and then the cannellini beans (creating a layer between the spinach and beans will ensure that they don\'t go too mushy and retain their shape and texture)
- Cover. The generated steam will ensure the beans will warm through
- When the the spinach is wilted remove from the heat, season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper and gently stir in a squeeze of lemon juice to combine
- Transfer to a plate. Top with the parmesan shavings and dress with with smoked paprika and olive oil and serve